Many times when we cook, we use only the egg yolks for some particular dish, and we have egg whites leftovers. I often make this egg white cake, so I can use up everything I have in my fridge or freezer.
If I don’t use the leftover egg whites for the next two to four days, I freeze them. Their shelf life is one year if you keep them in the freezer. Always remember to label the container with the number of egg whites and the date they are frozen. If you have many egg whites, separate them in smaller containers, so you won’t have to thaw all of them if you need an only small quantity for some recipe.
Check out some other recipes in which you can use leftover egg whites:
This recipe is open for modifications because you can use any dried fruits and make a different ratio between them depending on your taste (or you can use only one type of dried fruit). You can use dries grapes, cranberries, pineapple, figs, dates, mango, papaya, apricots, plums, ginger, etc. Also, you can put chocolate chips in the mixture if you want to achieve chocolatey taste.
The zest of lemon and orange gives this recipe a lovely fresh and exotic touch, but you can make this recipe without them if you prefer so.
The good thing with this recipe is that you can bake it in any shape you like. I usually use a rectangular or square pan, but you will not make a mistake if you make it in a circle pan, bundt pan or muffin tin.
This post contains affiliate links to keep our blog up and running! We are grateful for your support!
For more information read our disclosure policy.
6 egg whites
150 g sugar
130 g + 1 Tbsp flour
80 g melted butter
250 g dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, plums, mango, pineapple, apricots, dates, figs etc.)
50 g chopped raw nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts)
Zest of 1 orange and 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C/350 F
- Grease rectangular baking pan (20×30 cm) with butter
- Mix dried fruit with 1 Tbsp flour to prevent sticking
- Put the egg whites and the sugar in a deep bowl and whip with an electric mixer until they form firm peaks
- Add the rest of the ingredients in the egg whites and fold them with a spatula, so that the egg whites won’t deflate. Do this in two batches
- Put the mixture in the greased pan and bake for 30 minutes.