Gingerbread cookies are a must for Christmas and the Holidays. They are very fun to make this time of the year, and every kid loves them.
They are easy to make and you can be very creative to decorate them, so prepare all the ingredients and get started before Christmas.
There are a lot of gingerbread recipes, but this is my favorite.
115 g butter (softened)
100 g brown sugar
80 g molasses
80 g honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
320 g all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3 tsp spices (powdered ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, etc.)
1 egg white
150 g powdered sugar
1. In a large bowl beat butter with brown sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg, molasses, honey and vanilla extract and continue mixing until everything is well incorporated
2. In another bowl mix flour, baking soda, salt and spices and add them gradually in the butter mixture. Continue kneading the dough by hand until you form a ball
3. Cover the batter with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for 1 hour to chill, or 20 minutes in the freezer if you’re in a hurry
4. Preheat the oven to 175 °C/345 F. Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper
5. Roll the dough on a floured surface with a rolling pin, around 6 mm thin. With cookie cutter cut any shapes you like. Line the cookies on the baking trays and bake them around 10 minutes, depending on their size. Allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely
6. For the royal icing beat the egg white until frothy. Add the powdered sugar and mix until you get thick mass. If there is need add more sugar until you get the right consistency. If you’re using food colorings divide the mixture, add the food colorings and mix it until the icing is homogenous. Pour it in a piping bag and start decorating.