Macaroons are not difficult to make, but they can be very tricky. Even the best bakers can make a mistake but don’t worry, they will be tasty just not so good looking. Don’t be afraid to make chocolate macaroons. Chocolate macaroons are perfect for a present for friends and your loved ones.
With this recipe, you can make up to 40 small chocolate macaroons and this is why I love this recipe. You will need 2 or 3 baking sheets.
4 egg whites
250gr icing sugar
100gr ground almonds
6 tablespoons cocoa powder
120gr milk chocolate
120gr heavy cream
You can use white or dark chocolate too, but I like them with milk chocolate. Also, you can use almond flour. I didn’t find almond so I made almond flour by myself.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- If you have almond flour the process is very easy, if you have almonds make sure you have a food processor.
How to prepare the almonds?
Bring water to boil and put the almonds a few seconds up to one minute in the boiling water. Take them out and remove the shell. Then just put them in the food processor and blend, blend, blend.
- Place the powdered sugar, almond flour, cocoa powder in a food processor fitted and pulse several times. Process until fine and combined about 30 seconds. Sift through a flour sifter into a large bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl put the egg whites (make sure they are room temperature). Mix them with a mixer until they are foamy about 30 seconds to 1 minute, then add the sugar and continue to beat for few minutes until the sugar is combined.
- Slowly add the dry mixture into the bowl and mix gently until all ingredients are well combined.
- Transfer the mixture into a pastry bag and make small circles onto the baking sheets. Bang the baking sheets against the work surface. This will help to make the chocolate macaroons base and remove air.
- Let them sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes to dry.
Heat the oven to 350°F and bake the chocolate macaroons for 7-10 minutes. Be careful not to overcook them. You will know they are ready when they start to smell wonderful.
- Leave them to cool down and set aside.
How to make a Ganache filling?
Make sure you made the filling first. Melt 120gr chocolate and 120 heavy creams (you can use the microwave). Mix them well and put them in the freezer to cool down. If you want to add orange peel, vanilla extract or coffee in the ganache but I like it like this.
Next step is the last step. Just pair your chocolate macaroons of similar size and fill them with the ganache. Press gently and voila. You just made a chocolate macaroon.